Bane of the Magi
This walkthrough will not tell you all the secrets of the game. If you want to know where to find some secrets to make the game easier, visit Glen ( who lives in Palona ) and pay him. He will tell you a secret, or a hint. IT IS STRONGLY RECOMMENDED THAT YOU READ THE FILE NAMED BANEHINTS.TXT IN THE GAME DIRECTORY BEFORE PLAYING. Try to open all the barrels and chests you see ( as usual..;)). Be careful though, because there is a new monster in this game : the living chest. This fake chest attacks you when you try to open it. Fortunately, your thief skills will allow you to know if a chest is alive or not. This works for most chests. Do not forget to go to the cottage and to speak with your teacher ( Aaron or Martridge ) when you level up. When I say something like 'keep hurting people', I obviously mean harmless people. Do not try to fight the guards! You are a duck. Great. Don't ask me how this is possible. Read the sign, then go north. Read all the signs, then enter the cave. You are Dink again. Chat with Martridge, then take the gold. Go north, then west. Talk to Selina. Go south.
PART 1 : PALONA
The town of Palona is very big. Chat with the people and the guards if you want to. Go to the inn. Go upstairs and talk to Aaron. Alright, now you know where you can find a sword. He will also tell you where to find Jackal if you have stolen enough gold in town. You should try to find the dead soldier north of town to take it, but alas, there are slimes near it, so you might want to buy some nuts or turnips in town before going there. Don't go to the cottage right now. It is time to decide if you want to be good or evil.
*If you want to be good, do not attack anybody in town (except the robbers) .
*If you want to be evil, keep hurting people until the guards attack you ON SIGHT ( if you hurt someone and if a guard is near, you will be attacked by this guard, but not by other guards. You know you are evil enough when ALL the guards attack you on sight.). You will have to avoid them to survive, because you are not yet strong enough to defeat them.
You might have noticed some beggers in town. If you give them 10 $, you become less evil. You might also have noticed that the beggers sometimes get attacked by a robber. Kill the robbers when they appear, you can take their money as a reward. Now follow the road west of town until you see a bridge. You will get caught and thrown in jail.
- If you are good : Introduce yourself or just remain silent. Now wait until Jackal appears. He will open the door. Now go upstairs, open the chest to find a magic potion, then go south and go out.
- If you are evil : Introduce yourself. The Bringer of Light will ask you to help him. The guard will open the door. Now go upstairs, open the chest, get the magic potion, then go back downstairs. Go east and go out. If the Bringer of Light is here, you can talk to him if you want to. Or you can just leave.
You might want to talk to Jackal to learn thievery. Go to the healer's house, then push the shelf aside. Go downstairs and talk to him. If you haven't stolen enough gold yet, He will tell you to steal the gold in the barracks.
Stealing the gold :
*If you are good : That shouldn't be too hard. Enter the barracks, go upstairs. Break the chest, get the gold, and get the hell out of here. The guards will kill you if you aren't fast enough. Stealing the gold do not make the whole town hostile, hopefully. Go back to Jackal and talk to him.
*If you are evil : The guards will attack you on sight when you enter the barracks, so it will be rather difficult to get the gold without getting killed. You might want to find some less dangerous places where you can steal some gold.
When Jackal is convinced that you would be a good thief, he will ask you if you want to learn thievery. I'd say get it, it is very useful.
Getting the herb boots:
If you are a thief, you can try to get the herb boots. They are near the house south of the bringer's campound. Alas, you will have to enter the house to get them.
*If you are good : No problem, the guard will let you pass. Use your thief skills and push the shelf aside. Go though the secret passage. Grab the herb boots. Open the chest and get the magic potion.
*If you are evil : You can try to sneak past the guard, but he will probably kill you when you are trying to move the bookshelf ( don't forget to use your thief skills before ). If you manage to get past him, grab the herb boots, open the chest, get the magic potion, arm the herb boots, go back into the house, and quickly get out of here. If you can't get past the guard, you will need to wait until you are strong enough before attempting to get the herb boots ( or you can wait until you have a stunning bow, or an invisibility spell ).
Alright, now go to the cottage north of town. You will need to choose to become a mage, or a warrior. ( You should have taken the sword from the dead soldier's body north of town now. If you haven't yet, do so before going to the cottage.)
Becoming a mage or a warrior :
If you ask me 'What is the easiest?', I'd say it depends if you are good or evil. The warrior is very good in fighting, but he will have trouble to sneak past his foes. The mage isn't very good in fighting and will probably need to buy a good weapon to finish the game, however; some spells can be really useful to get you out of trouble. If you are good, becoming a mage can help you out significantly in Part 3, if you are evil, you should play a warrior. An evil Dink will have to fight a hard battle in Part 3, and a mage will have a lot of trouble winning the fight. But it's your choice. I managed to finish the game as a good warrior, as a good mage, as an evil warrior, and as an evil mage. Note that I almost always chose to learn thievery. If you are a mage and want to buy a weapon, sell your previous weapon before equipping the other, or it will disappear, and thus you will lose money. If you are a warrior and you want to buy a spell, choose wisely, because you won't be able to sell your spells. You will not be able to get the fireball spell back if you buy another spell, so you won't be able to burn trees again unless you buy the hellfire. It woild be wise to burn as many trees as you can before losing the fireball. You should know where to buy weapons and spells if you have read BaneHints.txt in the game directory.
Talk to Martridge now. Read the red scroll to learn fireball. If you are a mage, he will ask you to get a scroll from a fairy named Meena, who lives northeast of here. Do not go there yet. Try to go back to town. You will probably find Aaron (if not, search the town until you find him) . Talk to him. Go to the Bringer of Light's campound. Aaron will distract the guards and you will be able to enter the bringer's mansion. Go west ( if you stay too long near the entrance, the guard will problably attack you). Martridge will tell you to turn the handle on the wall. Do so ( if you are a thief, you can just pick the lock to open the door ) . Talk to Martridge, then hit him to break his shackles. Go south. Wait until the Bringer sees you. If you are good, the guard will attack you, so you'd better get out of here! If you are evil, you can talk to the guard.
Go to the inn now. ( Enter from the eastern door if you are evil, because the two other doors are guarded.) Here you will find Martridge and Aaron. They will tell you to go the underground mine, but you might want to gain some experience and gold first ( by killing some monsters ) . You can also visit Glen, if you want. If you are a mage, it is time to get the scroll from Meena in order to learn the Spirit Door spell.
Getting the scroll from Meena :
*If you are good : Tell her Martridge sent you. She will tell you she hid the scroll under a rock, and she will tell you its location.
*If you are evil : Alas, Meena won't help you. You'll need to find the rock yourself. I won't tell you where it is, that would be cheating.:) You can also, if you want, become good, then talk to Meena, then become evil again. To become good, you can kill the man who is hunting the fairies (he's one who says 'come here you stinking little sprite'). Alas, you can't reach him from where you are, so you will probably want to buy a bow first. If you are a mage, sell your longsword first! Make sure the fairy doesn't get hurt. I think killing the man won't make you good enough, so you will need to donate 10 gold to beggars until you are good enough ( you may need to donate a lot of gold, I had to donate more than 150 gold ). When you are good again, talk to Meena to learn the location of the rock, then go back in town and keep hurting people until you are evil again.Alternatively, if you don't want to become good and if you can't find the rock, you can buy the spirit/ethereal door spell. But this is expensive.
When you have found the rock, go in town, buy a bomb, and drop a bomb near the rock. Go down the hole, kill the monster, go east, and get the scroll. Now go back to the cottage show Martridge the scroll to learn the Spirit Door spell. If you are a warrior and manage to find the scroll, you can give it to Martridge, but you'll lose the fireball spell.
When you are ready, go to the well west of town ( it is one screen east from the bridge ) . Look at it to find the ladder. Choose to climb down the ladder. Now try walking 'through' the well to enter the underground mine.
*If you are good : You'll see someone near the ladder. His name is Shank. He thinks you're a slave and tells you to get to work. You can try to kill him if you want ( the fireball spell works well here ), but he'll eventually run away. Since you are good, your job is to free the slaves. Go to the northeast corner of the mine and you'll see a corridor. Follow it to go to the cells. The slaves are here, but you can't free them yet. The slaves will tell you that the guards have the keys. There are 6 doors, so you need to kill 6 guards ( there are 7 guards in the mine ) . The guards are easy to beat, even if you're a mage. When you have the 6 keys, go to the cells and open the door. WAIT UNTIL ALL THE PRISONERS GET OUT BEFORE PROCEEDING TO THE NEXT SCREEN, because I think there is a nasty bug. When you open the last two cells, Dink will probably say something like 'I should make sure they get out'. Go back near the ladder. Shank will attack you. Kill him, but make sure the slaves don't get hurt. When he's dead, wait until everybody is gone, then climb up the ladder ( just get close to it ). Martridge and Aaron will congratulate you and will tell you to go to the bringer's campound to help the town guards. Do so, but you might want to go to the healer's house first ( if you are injured ). When you are at the campound, wait until the town guards attack, then help them kill the blue soldiers. MAKE SURE AT LEAST ONE OF THE TOWN GUARDS SURVIVES. When the blue soldiers are dead, Martridge congratulate you ( again !) and tell you to go to the netherworld to get a ruby sphere. Congratulations, you've finished Part 1 and you should buy some elixirs ( especially if you're a warrior ) before attempting Part 2 and Part 3.
*If you are evil : Wait until Dink talks to Shank. Shank will ask you to kill a 'pesky gnome'. You can talk with him for further information, if you want. Now go to the southwest corner of the mine ( from where you are, you must go one screen east, then one screen south, then one screen west, then go one screen south ). You'll see a wall here. Part of this wall is fake and you can walk through it. You'll discover the 'pesky gnome' ( Shanton ). Tell him you have agreed to kill him. You will need to bring his hat to Shank, and there are two ways to get it. If you don't want to kill Shanton, you can ask him to give you his hat. He'll agree. Open the chest to get his hat. If you want, you can also fight Shanton. He is quite weak, but be careful, he will summon some spikes. Destroy Shanton as soon as possible and do not let the spikes touch you. You can also hide behind Shanton. The spike will have to hurt him to attack you. If you quickly get away from it, then hide behind Shanton again and again and again and again, the spike may eventually kill him. I wouldn't recommend doing this, though. You should kill Shanton yourself, otherwise you may not get the experience. You don't need to kill the spikes, you can just avoid them. They are quite slow, so this shouldn't be too hard. When Shanton is dead, open the chest and you'll het his hat. Now go back to Shank. Uh-oh, the slaves are escaping. Kill them. This is very easy, and Shank will help you. Just make sure Shank doesn't get hurt. When they are all dead, Shank will reward you. Climb up the ladder ( just get close to it ), and the Bringer of Light will tell you to defend his campound. Do so, but you might want to go to the healer's house first ( if you are injured ). When you are at the campound, wait until the town guards attack, then help the blue soldiers kill them and MAKE SURE AT LEAST ONE OF THE BLUE SOLDIERS SURVIVES. When the town guards are dead, the Bringer of Light will tell you to go to the netherworld to find the ruby sphere. Congratulations, you've finished Part 1 and you should buy some elixirs ( especially if you're a warrior ) before attempting Part 2 and Part 3.
PART 2 : THE RIVER STYX
Being good or evil doesn't change this part. The only difference is that you won't meet Shanton in the mine if you're evil. Go back in the mine. Go to the place where you find Shanton. If you're good, you don't know where it is, so from screen with the ladder, do this : one screen east, one screen south, one screen west, kill the monster, one screen south, part of the wall is fake and thus you can walk through it, so go one screen south. If you are good, Shanton will give you a hint here, if you are evil, he doesn't appear ( anymore ). Go east. Get close to the statue to talk to it. Ask it about everything. It will tell you you need the skull of Kritos to summon Charon. There is nothing more you can do here, for now, so get out of the mine. From the screen with the well, go one screen south and one screen west. You need a bomb to destroy the rock. You can buy one in town. When the rock is destroyed, go down the hole, go one screen west, then go through the waterfall to enter the dragon's lair. This area is NASTY, and a stunning bow or a invisibility spell would help. If you are a warrior, you can try to fight the skeletons and the slayers ( the stone giants would be quite hard ), if you're a mage, you will probably only be strong enough to destroy the spikes! It would be nice if you tried to kill some skeletons, though, because you could get some gold and experience. Be careful, the skeletons move slowly, but they hit hard and fast. Upon entry, you will see two chests. Be careful, one of them is alive... Explore the whole area, you should find two other chests and the dragon's castle. When you find the dragon, he will tell you to speak with him. He will also tell you you must not take his gold. If you try to rob him, you will get hurt, because there are traps on the gold, and the dragon might attack you. Killing the dragon may cause odd results, so do not try to take his gold. Talk to him. He will agree to sell you the skull for 1000 gold. If you want, you can complain about the price and you will be able to buy it for 800 gold only. Open the chest to get the skull. Now exit the castle. WARNING : Part 3 will be soon, and it is hard. If you are a warrior, you might want to buy a useful spell, like heal or spirit door, or invisibility. Spirit door could be quite useful, because without this spell, you won't be able to exit the netherworld until you have found the ruby. It can be annoying, because you can get lots of gold in Part 3, and you won't be able to buy anything in the netherworld. When you are ready, go back in the mine and go to the screen where you found the dragon statue. From here, go east and follow the path. Eventually, you'll see a door. Unless your thief skills are high, you won't be able to pick it. You can increase your thief skills by stealing gold in town. If your thief skills aren't high enough, just drop a bomb near the door to destroy it. Go north and follow the path until you see a star. Go near it. The floor to the right will collapse. Jump in the hole ( MAKE SURE YOU HAVE AT LEAST 1000 GOLD FIRST ! ) . Now you won't be able to go back to Palona until the end of Part 3 ( unless you have the spirit door spell, of course ) ! Use your thief skills here ( if you are a thief ), because there are traps. Follow the path, and you'll see the river Styx. Call Charon. Refuse to pay, then promise to pay him on the other side. You'll probably need Another ride to the netherworld later. This time he will tell you to answer his riddle. Answer *NOTHING* and you can pass.
PART 3 : THE NETHERWORLD
This is the nastiest area of the game. The netherworld is full of very dangerous monsters. You can easily get lost here, because the map of the netherworld loops around and appears endless at first. There are four ways to finish this part :
- If you are a good warrior : Alas, the skeletons here will attack you on sight. The ruby you must find is in heaven, but you will need some keys to reach the ruby, so do not go here yet. Instead go to... hell! Be careful here. The skeletons will attack on sight. You must find chests here. When you see a chest, open it and you will get a key. Watch you for slayers, also. You might get hurt but if you have the heal spell, this isn't much of a problem. The invisibility spell is very useful to sneak past the monsters. If you want, you can also fight them to gain experience, then you can use the spirit door spell ( if you have it ) when you level up, then you can go back to Aaron to gain a more powerful weapon. You may also find Hades in hell. His skeletons will attack you. You can avoid them and try to kill Hades to gain 2000 XP. When you think you have all the keys, get out of here and go to the heaven gates. You can talk with the guardians if you want. You may also have found a guardian bigger than others. You can talk to him to get some useful information. Anyway, when you face the gate, just talk to it ( or to the skull ) to enter. Try to find a screen with a ladder. There is also your mother here. You can talk to her. Climb the ladder. Being a thief is useful to avoid the traps and to pick the locks. Note that you won't be able to pick every lock. Unlock the doors without wasting too much keys ( take the shortest paths ) and you should be able to find the ruby sphere without too many problems. Take it. Now go back to the stone circle ( where Charon left you ), choose to return home and it's time for Part 4!
- If you are a good mage : Your spells will allow you to heal yourself if you get hurt, to sneak past your foes, and to get out of here whenever you want. When you have the ruby sphere, it is better to get out with Charon, so if you are ready to stay here until you have the ruby and if you are afraid to forget where the stone circle is, use the earth rune when Charon leaves you alone. When you have the ruby, use the spirit door to go back to the stone circle. Read the good warrior path for more information on how to find the ruby. Contrary to the warrior, you may not want too many fight monsters to gain XP ( unless you have a very good weapon ). If you choose to do it, you can go back to Martridge to get a spell when you level up (with the spirit door spell).
- If you are an evil warrior : Fortunately, the skeletons in hell will be friendly to you. But alas, the guardians of the heaven gates won't let you pass. Find the screen with the master guardian and talk to him ( funny, this guy attacks you if you managed to get the ruby without killing him and if you are evil when you talk to him, this could happen if you were an evil mage, but since you are an evil warrior, killing him is probably best ). He won't let you pass. Jump down the dark hole. Explore this place until you find some other stairs. Go up this stairs to find Hades. Join his evil army. He will tell you to kill the master guardian. Wait until the skeletons are gone, then go back into the hole. Find the other stairs again and go up to get back to the master guardian. You'll have to fight him. I think he is the strongest monster in the game. Use your stunning bow to stun him, then keep hitting him with your light sword until he dies. If you do not have the light sword, you can try to hit him with your claw sword, but it may take a while. When he dies, get the key. Now go to the heaven gate and talk to the door. Try to find a screen with a ladder. There is also your mother here. You can talk to her. Climb the ladder. Being a thief is useful to avoid the traps and to pick the locks. Note that you won't be able to pick every lock. Unlock the doors without wasting too much keys ( take the shortest paths ) and you should be able to find the ruby sphere without too many problems. Take it. Now go back to the stone circle ( where Charon left you ), choose to return home and it's time for Part 4!
- If you are an evil mage : You *should* do what an evil warrior would do, but the battle with the master guardian can be extremely difficult for you. You might want to become good until you have the ruby. If you want to try to kill the master guardian anyway, here is what you must do : there are 2 ways to kill him. The first way : Hit the master guardian as much as you can before getting killed, then get away from him to heal yourself with the heal spell or some elixirs. Then hit him again. Be careful, he is very strong. Fortunately, the skeletons will help you. They can distract him significantly. The second way : Hit the master guardian with your stunning bow, then arm the herb boots and hit him until he dies. This can take a VERY long time ( 10 minutes maybe ? ) , but at least you are safe. When he dies, get the key. Now go to the heaven gate and talk to the door. Try to find a screen with a ladder. There is also your mother here. You can talk to her. Climb the ladder. Being a thief is useful to avoid the traps and to pick the locks. Note that you won't be able to pick every lock. Unlock the doors without wasting too much keys ( take the shortest paths ) and you should be able to find the ruby sphere without too many problems. Take it. Now go back to the stone circle ( where Charon left you ), choose to return home and it's time for Part 4!
PART 4 : THE SCEPTER OF DRACOS
Meena will take you back near the cottage. Go to the cottage and talk to your teacher. He will tell you to face the Bringer of Light. When you are ready, go to the bridge. You'll notice that the bridge is repaired and that the guards are no longer here. Explore the area until you find the Bringer of Light.
Fighting Torman :
- If you are a good warrior, the battle will be very easy. Stun Torman with your stunning bow and destroy him and his moving fires with your throwing axe. When he dies, get the rod.
- If you are a good mage, arm the ruby and use the hellfire magic against Torman. A stunning bow would also be useful to stop the moving fires. When Torman dies, get the rod.
- If you are an evil warrior, the Bringer of Light will tell you to give him the ruby. Do so if you want, but he will betray you . Since you are a warrior, the ruby isn't very useful for you anyway. Fight him as a good warrior would do.
- If you are an evil mage, the Bringer of Light will tell you to give him the ruby. Refuse, because it will be very useful to beat him. Fight him as a good mage would do.
Now that you have the Scepter of Dracos, you can get two endings, one good ending and one bad ending.
Good ending :
Go back to the netherworld and then go back to heaven ( destroy anything that blocks your way with the scepter ), find the well. The Gods will tell you to throw the Scepter into the well. Do so. Now you can ask them to be sent to a happier time and place, or you ask to to return to Palona, or you can just tell them you want to be on your way...
Bad ending :
Arm the Scepter, go back to town, and keep hurting everyone until the gods appear... This might take some time.
And also :
-There are two ways to get to dragon's castle. The first is described in the walkthrough. The second requires the spirit door spell. Make sure you haven't used the Earth Rune spell yet, otherwise it will not work. Walk through the spirit door until you are sent to a rather cold place ( I mean, a place with snow ). Go north, use your thief skills ( if you have them ), then push the brick. Go through the opening.
-You might have found a screen with a trapped dragon in hell. Use your thief skills on that screen, wait until Dink stop talking, then use your thief skills again. You can also your thief skills on that screen after the bad ending.